Sunday, February 7, 2010

I'm in love.....


I have start by saying that I've fallen in love. Have you ever met people that you meshed so well with that even when you're feeling angry towards them you still want to keep talking to them and they can still make you smile?
Well I've met that.. I wish it would've been in one person but no, I've met that person in 4 people together. I've fallen in love with 4 guys at once, guys that keep me sane, keep me laughing, but most importantly keep me grounded.
Together we form the Ottawa chapter of a poetry/performance group called B.R.H.I.N., these guys write fabulous poetry and I am privileged to be audience to this sheer talent.
Yesterday, February 6th 2010 marked the first Black History Month Gala of the University of Ottawa where we had the privilege of performing, not only in front of our fellow classmates but in front of noted guests such as Her Honourable Excellence the Governor of Canada Michaelle Jean, her husband Jean-Daniel Lafond, and various MPs.
Our piece fell into the portion of the night dedicated toward paying tribute to Haiti, and we took our guests through history with our piece. Starting them off with a typical day in the African hunter's day in the 1300s, and ending it with Haiti's national anthem and the present day's tragedy.
The evening ended with some awesome tunes being spun by the Dj of the night first taking us back with some Motown classics, as well as some of our beloved fallen's tunes (MJ). We had the privilege of having one of Carleton's prominent fraternities present amongst our midsts regaling us with their "signature" step dance during the dance party.

But for the rest of the evening I got to dance with Netu (resident poet and dance teacher, knows quite a bit about being "suave mente" in life an on the dance floor),

Mambwe (resident poet and mastermind, aka hilarious in a weird understated manner),
Kenny (didn't know he had moves on the dance floor like that but nonetheless resident poet and Kenny).
Unfortunately due to prior engagements our fourth member was unable to attend the festivities but he still held that special place in our hearts, Zebb (resident poet and Justice, some call him african).

All in all, it was a great night, I'm a happy girl in love with 4 lovely men and that's that.

skvvys ;)

1 comment: